spinach cauliflower tots
I'm a big fan of tator tots. I mean, who isn't? I'm also a big fan of spinach and cauliflower. Sadly, not everyone is. But I've created a spinach-cauliflower tot (spator tot? cator tot? spacator tot?) that will be sure to win over even the most picky of eaters. It's pretty customizable, so add whatever herbs/spices go along with whatever else you're making. It's also a great game-day snack!
Spinach Cauliflower Tots
1 medium head cauliflower
1 medium onion
2 cups spinach
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese (please do not buy the pre-shedding stuff. buy it in a block and grate it in the food processor)
1 tbsp dried parsley (or 3 tbsp fresh)
1 tbsp dried oregano (or 3tbsp fresh)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roughly chop the cauliflower, spinach, onion, and cheese into pieces.
3. Add the cauliflower to your food processor and pulse until it resembles rice. Remove from food processor and add to a large bowl.
4. Add the cheese to the food processor and pulse until grated. Do the same with the onion and spinach, until it is all mixed together. Pulse in the herbs and spices. Be careful not to over-do it or you'll end up with mush as opposed to tiny pieces.
5. Add the spinach mixture to the cauliflower and mix well. Add salt and pepper to your taste. You can also adjust the amount of herbs/spices at this point if you'd like more. If the mixture is too wet to hold a shape, add the breadcrumbs to soak up the moisture.
6. Roll about 1.5 tbsp of the mixture in your hand, forming a tot. Place on baking sheet about an inch apart.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes in preheated oven, turning over halfway through to brown evenly on both sides.
8. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce (or cheese sauce, or salsa. It's pretty flexible)